By Barry Balleck
This provocative quantity explores how and why the note "patriot" has been appropriated by way of those that struggle opposed to the U.S. government—sometimes advocating violence in help in their goals.
• Addresses the big variety of "patriot" teams presently energetic within the usa, protecting their origins and present actions and what they exhibit approximately America's political state
• Profiles famous patriot teams
• Discusses the political, monetary, and social dynamics that perpetuate the expansion of those pursuits
• Explores how and why such teams advanced from guardians of the rules of confined executive to proponents of radicalized violence opposed to these they see as being towards their beliefs
• Overviews the congruence of patriotism and political violence in U.S. background, akin to how disillusionment within the wake of the Civil conflict supplied fodder for the forming of the Klu Klux Klan
Read or Download Allegiance to Liberty: The Changing Face of Patriots, Militias, and Political Violence in America PDF
Similar civil rights & liberties books
The splendid court docket has emphasised that expressive liberties require 'breathing area' within which to thrive. At a minimal, audio system want areas within which to gather, communicate, and petition executive. This publication is a entire exam of First modification rights in public locations. It exhibits that the literal flooring underneath audio system' ft has been gradually eroding, from own areas to school campuses and to as soon as massive and critical inscribed locations, reminiscent of public parks and public squares.
The booklet from the interdisciplinary fields of queer thought, severe race thought, feminist political idea, incapacity reviews, and indigenous reviews to illustrate that reading modern notions of citizenship calls for realizing the machinations of governmentality and biopolitics within the (re)production of the correct citizen.
Judging unfastened Speech includes 9 unique essays by way of political scientists and legislation professors, each one offering a entire, but concise and available assessment of the unfastened speech jurisprudence of a usa perfect courtroom Justice.
For hundreds of years prior, the hunt for liberty has pushed political events around the globe, inspiring revolutions in the US, France, China and plenty of different international locations. Now, we have now Iraq and the belief of liberation via preemption. what's this liberty that's so fervently pursued? Does it suggest a personal house for people, the potential at no cost and rational selection, or collective self-rule?
- Women's Emancipation Movements in the Nineteenth Century: A European Perspective
- The Liberatory Thought of Martin Luther King Jr.: Critical Essays on the Philosopher King
- The Routledge Guidebook to Wollstonecraft's A Vindication of the Rights of Woman (The Routledge Guides to the Great Books)
- The Music Has Gone Out of the Movement: Civil Rights and the Johnson Administration, 1965-1968
- The Fragile Mind
- Global Empowerment of Women: Responses to Globalization and Politicized Religions (Routledge Research in Gender and Society)
Extra resources for Allegiance to Liberty: The Changing Face of Patriots, Militias, and Political Violence in America
Allegiance to Liberty: The Changing Face of Patriots, Militias, and Political Violence in America by Barry Balleck